|GET STARTED TODAY|
The sad truth is that New York City generally has excellent teachers and principals but twice as many students as they can handle. With student:teacher ratios ranging from 25:1 – 40:1, public schools labor to do too much with too little. After School programs often ignore academic development. It’s understandable because no one expects After School programs to hire certified teachers or simply expand the school day. Meanwhile, homework continues to increase as teachers labor to prepare students for NYS exams. Parents end up with a dilemma.
OUR GOAL – to prepare your student for entrance into one of the 10 best middle schools closest to your home.
We Promise an A in Homework – 82nd Street Academics has the best track record with homework completion and correction for the past 15 years. After a short time to gather and meet friends, we tackle homework together – 10:1 students to teacher, we have the extra time to answer questions and check homework. Our homework promise is for students who attend for 5 days a week and leave at 6PM or later.
7 Social Emotional Skills for High School Success – Our success continues with 7 Social Emotional skills that we work with students to develop :
Studies show that these 7 skills will prepare students to enter high school with confidence, skills, and determination to finish projects and homework without parent pressure.
Evidence Based Thinking Practice – We are developing teachers with the CLASS system from the University of Virginia to respond to students in After School with projects and discussion which requires students to practice finding evidence and making arguments. This is Exactly where so many students struggle with the Common Core tests.
We add hot meals and plenty of ways to keep students motivated as well! Your child deserves the best Academic Development for After School and its After School Achievement Club at 82nd Street Academics. Come in today for a tour. Call 718 457 0429 !
Seats are limited, please contact us for availability at 718-457-0429. We accept HRA and ACD vouchers.
1. Homework Help – Students’ first activity for the day is to complete their homework. It is checked by trained group leaders for neatness and correct answers. Our goal is to ensure that students understand the material that they are completing and develop study habits that they will use throughout their academic career.
2. Motivated Academics (Drama, Dance and Music) – Enrichment activities help students engage their creative thinking skills and interact with their classmates in new ways. These classes encourage students to actively participate in the planning process to choose how they will spend their afternoon. Enrichment classes boost students’ confidence levels and students’ ability to express themselves.
3. Teacher Led Activities – Teachers plan activities that incorporate the Common Core Learning Standards to build their skills in self-expression and knowledge of arts and crafts, science, community building, and health/safety.
4. School Spirit Activities – Theme days and school wide contests (such as Class Colors Day and our Reading Contest) provide time for students and staff to have fun together. Students build a sense of community and group identity through these events. Our Theme Coordinator works to plan and execute each activity.
5. Literacy Activities – On a daily basis, each student participates in an age-appropriate literacy activity. Some classes include group reading of a chapter book or a class book followed by discussion and reflection.
6. Family Style Meals – Each class serves a full supper at 4:00pm each day. Students sit together at tables with staff and eat as a group. Staff prompt conversations among students to help them relax and discuss their daily experiences.
7. Outdoor Recreation – Students always look forward to time on our playground! This time is completely physical and allows students to run around and let out any pent-up energy. This activity promotes physical health, and also allows students to concentrate more easily during difficult homework assignments.